Why do new businesses need a lawyer? At the most basic level, new businesses need lawyers to help them deal with three groups:
(1) The government. You don’t want to violate laws. You also need to be sure you are doing business in a way that doesn’t create unnecessary tax liability and that you pay the taxes you owe.
(2) Third parties and the public. It’s essential to make sure you take reasonable steps to control risk in your interactions with customers, suppliers, users, employees, and the general public.
(3) Each other. When multiple people form a company together, it’s best to establish the rights and expectations of the founders upfront in case there are disagreements down the line.
The most likely times for start-ups to get lawyers involved include:
* Incorporation and forming a business entity
* Hiring employees
* Negotiating contracts with customers and suppliers, including establishing terms of service for websites and license agreements for software
* Raising capital
* Obtaining patents (for some companies)
If you're starting a new business and need legal advice, give us a call at 253.858.5434 to make an appointment. We proudly serve clients throughout Washington and Idaho and are available to meet in person, by phone, or via Skype or FaceTime.