If you've got children, what happens if you become incapacitated? Washington law allows you to create a power of attorney for minor children's care, appointing someone (your "agent") to make decisions for your child if you and the child's other parent are incapacitated or otherwise unavailable to make decisions. A few of the more common powers your agent could have include:

* Enrolling child(ren) in school and extracurricular activities;
* Having access to school records and participating in decisions regarding the child(ren)'s education, including attending parent-teacher conferences;
* Obtaining medical, dental, and mental health treatment and making healthcare decisions on behalf of child(ren);
* Providing for the child(ren)'s food, lodging, housing, recreation, and travel.

You may choose any adult to be your agent. Your agent does not have to be a family member. When choosing an agent, consider the following:

* Someone you trust;
* Someone your child(ren) know;
* Make sure agent has ability to act on behalf of your child(ren)'s best interests by considering the potential agent's other time commitments, experience with child(ren) and their general health.

If you have questions about powers of attorney for minor children's care, give us a call at 253.858.5434 to make an appointment.