Today is International Be Kind to Lawyers Day. It's a real thing - google it. If you're looking for ways to celebrate International Be Kind to Lawyers Day, here are a few suggestions:
1. Take your favorite lawyer out to breakfast or lunch. (Make sure it's not billable!)
2. Send your lawyer a "just because" greeting card.
3. Send him/her some flowers, a fruit basket, or a cookie bouquet.
4. Switch your ring tone to the "dun-dun" sound from "Law & Order."
5. Abstain from telling lawyer jokes for 24 hours. (You can do it!)
6. If you can't abstain, tell your funniest lawyer joke but switch out the lawyer with your profession. I bet it's still funny.
7. If you accidentally say something wrong or inappropriate on this day, just follow it up with the words, "Strike that from the record." Then continue talking as if nothing happened.
8. Salute the flag as you walk or drive by your local courthouse.
9. Watch your favorite legal drama and pretend you're the one delivering the powerful closing argument. Some suggested films: "The Verdict," "To Kill A Mockingbird," "A Few Good Men," and "With Justice For All."
10. Do some simple repairs around the house with a gavel instead of your trusty hammer.
11. Try to slip words like "I object!" or "You're out of order!" into your everyday conversations.
12.Try to write up your own Operating Agreement for an LLC or draft your own Will. See? It's harder than it looks.
13. Take notes at a meeting on a legal pad. Don't you just feel smarter looking at the glorious yellow hue of that 8-1/2" x 14" pad?